Summary: RED-Rochester’s (RED) Waste Water Treatment Manager (the “Plant Manager”) participates at the senior level of company responsibility as a member of RED’s senior leadership team reporting directly to the President of the Company. The Plant Manager is responsible for all aspects of RED’s Kings Landing Waste Water Treatment Plant and Multiple Hearth Incineration systems (collectively, “the Plant”). The Plant Manager plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the Plant and its employees to include its operations, maintenance, process monitoring and regulatory compliance. The Manager prepares annual budget forecasts enforces spending discipline and provides strategic guidance for all capital improvement projects. The Plant Manager maintains a current understanding of the relationship between the Plant, RED’s other utility assets and RED’s customers across Eastman Business Park given their collective interdependence and the critical impact of the Plant’s reliability on the same.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participates as a member of RED’s senior leadership team.
- Develops and implements the Plant’s goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Plans, organizes and directs the Plant activities and projects related to plant operations.
- Must gain a commanding knowledge of all City, State, and Federal rules and regulations governing Plant operations to include but not limited to: the Federal Clean Water Act, the State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Department of transportation (DOT), Title V Air Permit, and The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) requirements.
- Manage all personnel involved in the operations and maintenance of the Plant, including training, assigning and reviewing work, conducting performance evaluations and taking disciplinary personnel actions if necessary. Maintains discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the division.
- Directs, oversees and participates in the development of the Plant work plan; assigns work activities, projects and programs; monitors work flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures.
- Prepares the Plant budget; assists in budget implementation; participates in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administers approved budget.
- Works closely with RED’s Asset Optimization team for capital improvement planning, budgeting and execution.
- Works closely with RED’s Instrumentation and Controls Team for the planning and implementation of technology, data management, and control system projects for the Plant.
- Plays an important role in business development by meeting with existing and prospective customers to explain Plant capabilities and Plant’s ability to receive and process new discharges.
- Works closely with RED EHS Department to endure the highest levels of EHS compliance. Conduct inspections, review operations, prepare and/or oversee the preparation of required reports related to permit compliance, prepare project designs, review improvement plans, develop operating policies and procedures, etc., to ensure safe and efficient operation of the Wastewater and Water Treatment Plant and Multiple Hearth Incinerator
- Inspect plant processes and provide technical advice and assistance on process control problems
- Provides public relations assistance for water and wastewater plants, including providing technical responses and education programs
- Develop process control strategies; analyze operational and lab data, and initiate control changes to maximize treatment effectiveness
- Supervises and participates in chemical and biological examinations of water and wastewater in various stages of its treatment including chemical dosing and application of chemicals.
- Manage the Recoverable Materials Agreement with RED industrial sewer users to include transportation of recovered ash to Canada for recovery of precious metals.
- Assists RED and Ironclad leadership with due diligence and analysis associated with other Ironclad portfolio projects as requested.
Education and/or Experience:
- Required: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering or environmental sciences or related field
- Preferred: A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering or environmental sciences or related field.
- 15 + years of increasing levels of responsibility within the waste water treatment operations and maintenance with a focus on regulatory compliance and continuous process improvement.
- 15 + years of increasing levels of responsibility managing people with demonstrated success in building strong cohesive teams focused on operational excellence.
- Professional Engineer’s License if applicable
- Wastewater Treatment Operator’s Certificate/License
- Demonstrated Continuing Professional Education certificates or classes
- Familiarity with SCADA, PLC’s, and Wireless Telemetry controls
- Proficient with the Microsoft suite of office products
- Working knowledge of OSHA and safety practices
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret plans, specifications, contract documents, control drawings, service bulletins, technical manuals, equipment specifications, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, customers, and operational level personnel.
- Desire for hands-on project development and customer contact
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be a “results-driven, self-starter” with the desire to bring creative solutions to a dynamic operating environment.
- Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence and is able to communicate in a calm, professional manner in stressful environments.
- Dedication to highest levels of waste water treatment plant and multiple hearth incinerator reliability and customer service.
- Able to adjust easily to rapid change, possess a strong sense of urgency and is able to work well under pressure.
- Possesses proven ability to manage multiple projects, service providers and consultants while paying strict attention to detail.
- A combination of normal office/desk, industrial waste water treatment plant and multiple hearth incinerator plant operations and industrial park conditions.
- Weather consistent with historical seasonal changes in Rochester, NY.
- Potential to work outside in all weather conditions from street level to roof tops.
- Possibility of temperatures ranging from extreme cold to over 100 degrees.
- Able to operate computer keyboard, printers, copier, etc.
- Visual and hearing ability
- Able to move between buildings in Eastman Business Park which may require climbing multiple flights of stairs from time-to-time.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and willingness to use a company or personal car to travel about Eastman Business Park which covers approximately 5 square miles.