Job Title: Utilities Mechanic – Steam Turbine
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor (Steam Team)
Shift Assignment: Day Shift (M-F 05:00AM – 01:30PM) with after-hours requirements
FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Pay Band: Non-Exempt Band 2
Summary: Responsible for maintenance and repairs of industrial mechanical equipment associated with Steam & Electric utilities generation across Eastman Business Park for Red-Rochester, LLC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain Clear and Consistent Communication relating to the current status, performance and needs of your assigned location with RED-Rochester team supervisor, maintenance planner and operations staff. Ensure all RED-Rochester customer communicated concerns are immediately communicated and appropriately responded to.
- Assists Maintenance Planner to develop standard preventive maintenance routines to ensure maximum equipment uptime and lifespan is attained for all responsible systems.
- Assists Maintenance Planner to develop corrective (repair) maintenance job plans as needed to ensure all equipment repairs are completed in a timely basis to maintain all system redundancies for optimum emergency performance.
- Coordinates with Maintenance Planner, all shutdown planning (routine & emergency) for the execution of maintenance activities to include Customer end-user notifications.
- Complete all planned maintenance routines for assigned locations, documenting all actions within the RED-Rochester work order management system (MAXIMO®).
- Complete all assigned corrective maintenance actions, documenting all actions within the RED-Rochester work order management system (MAXIMO®).
- Assist with any Plant Overhaul, Upgrade or Modernization Activities being completed within assigned locations.
- Supervise any outside Contractor executing work within your assigned work location to ensure compliance with RED-Rochester safety policies and that the RED-Rochester standards for workmanship are maintained.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Health, Safety and Environmental Plans related to assigned locations.
- Work, as needed within the larger team structure for Red-Rochester major emergencies or catastrophic failures.
- Use of hoists, pulleys, dollies, rollers, trucks, overhead cranes and rigging, lathes, & shop equipment.
- Potential to work with equipment such as boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts and power walkies
Equipment Competencies, but not limited to:
- All sizes of Pumps from single stage low pressure centrifugal to multi-stage high-pressure (up to and beyond 2000PSI).
- Main Plant Multi-Stage Air Compressors (>5000scfm).
- Steam Turbines (5-1400PSI) to drive all styles of utilities generation rotating equipment.
- Gas Turbines (upto 35,000 sHP) – future
- Equipment auxiliary systems such as: Lube oil lubrication, Fuel oil, Fuel Gas, Hydrogen cooling, Hydraulic oil, Speed control & governing, Various cooling water and Storage systems.
Soft skills Competencies:
- Excellent and Clear Communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or within a team environment.
- Demonstrated Mechanical aptitude and abilities
- Demonstrated Electrical aptitude and abilities
- Demonstrated conceptual and practical trouble shooting skills
- Ability to follow procedures, work instructions and safety/environmental regulations
- Ability to read and understand prints and drawings that pertain to all systems
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma/GED
- 5 years of applicable utilizes mechanic or millwork experience (or comparable Military Service experience within defined trade).
- Applicable Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
Qualifications or Licenses:
- Enter and Register into an Apprentice Agreement (Form AT-10) with the NYS Department of Labor for the Plant Maintenance – Millwright trade [DOT code: 638.281-018], within 60 days.
- Register and actively participate in a RED-Rochester Sponsored 4-Year Apprenticeship Training Program [Penn Foster College – Online or Comparable] within 60 days. For experienced candidates there may be an opportunity to test out of sections of the training path.
- Must obtain required safety operator licenses, as needed for fork truck, man lift and scissor lift within 12 months (Employer Provided)
- Immediately obtain OSHA 10hr certification.
- Must obtain OSHA 30hr certification within 12 months.
- Must have an unencumbered valid NYS drivers’ license
- Industrial environment/power plant/treatment plant atmosphere
- Working outside in all weather conditions from street level to roof tops.
- Possibility of temperatures ranging from extreme cold to over 100 degrees.
- Work will take place in chemical areas, noisy areas and areas that may be very dirty
- Position requires strenuous effort, climbing, stair climbing, and crawling to accomplish equipment isolation and movement of material
- Lifting and carrying of a variety of equipment weighing up to 50 lbs is sometimes necessary