Job Title: Maintenance Pipefitter, Apprentice
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor (STEAM Team)
Shift Assignment: Day Shift (M-F 05:00AM – 01:30PM) with after-hours requirements
FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Pay Band: Non-Exempt Band 2
Summary: Installation, repair and maintenance of piping, piping components, valves & supports for Steam, Compressed Air, Hydraulic Water, or Oil Systems across all facilities and buildings located within Eastman Business Park owned and operated by RED Rochester, LLC.
- Maintain clear and consistent communication relating to the current status, performance and needs of your assigned location with RED-Rochester team supervisor, maintenance planner and operations staff. Ensure all RED-Rochester customer communicated concerns are immediately communicated and appropriately responded to.
- Assists Maintenance Planner to develop standard preventative maintenance routines to ensure maximum equipment uptime and lifespan is attained for all responsible systems.
- Assists Maintenance Planner to develop corrective (repair) maintenance job plans as needed to ensure all equipment repairs are completed in a timely basis to maintain all system redundancies for optimum emergency performance.
- Coordinates with Maintenance Planner, all shutdown planning (routine & emergency) for the execution of maintenance activities to include Customer end-user notifications.
- Complete all planned maintenance routines for assigned locations, documenting all actions within the RED-Rochester work order management system (MAXIMO®).
- Complete all assigned corrective maintenance actions, documenting all actions within the RED-Rochester work order management system (MAXIMO®).
- Assist with any Plant Overhaul, Upgrade or Modernization Activities being completed within assigned locations.
- Supervise any outside Contractor executing work within your assigned work location to ensure compliance with RED-Rochester safety policies and that the RED-Rochester standards for workmanship are maintained.
- Work, as needed within the larger team structure for team for major emergencies or catastrophic failures.
- Work consistently in a Safety mindset, following all prescribed and documented safety policies at RED-Rochester, LLC.
- Competencies and capabilities to respond and solve emergent events, trouble-calls, pipe ruptures, or pipe leaks: 24 hours a day – 7 days a week – 52 weeks out of the year.
- Work utilizing hoists, pulleys, dollies, rollers, trucks, overhead cranes and rigging, scaffolding, ladders & shop equipment.
- Potential to work with equipment such as boom lifts, scissor lifts, forklifts and power walkies.
System / Job Competencies, but not limited to:
- High-pressure piping systems and equipment such as steam heating, steam generation, and hydraulic systems, steam generators, flash and expansion tanks, condensate, vacuum, circulating pumps, and radiators.
- Rigging & Safety signaling related to unloading or positioning of material for installation.
- Utilization all standard pipefitting tools, such as cutting, grinding, bending, joining, & threading equipment used to fit pipe per job.
- General knowledge of Boilers, Furnaces, Electrical Generators, Air Compressors, Refrigeration, Air Conditioning & Lubrication systems.
Soft skills Competencies:
- Excellent and Clear Communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or within a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret blue prints
- Demonstrated ability to lay out the routing, placement, pitch, elevation, pressure reduction, expansion, and operation of various piping systems and equipment
- Demonstrated conceptual and practical trouble shooting skills
- Ability to follow procedures, work instructions and safety/environmental regulations
- General Knowledge and working understand of Computers utilizing generally understood business applications such as Microsoft Office ®, IBM Maximo ® or others.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Armed Forces Training, Documented Fitter Apprenticeship Training or Equivalent field experience required.
- Applicable Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required.
Qualifications or Licenses:
- Enter and Register into an Apprentice Agreement (Form AT-10) with the NYS Department of Labor for the Pipefitter trade [DOT code: 862.281-022], within 60 days.
- Register and actively participate in a RED-Rochester Sponsored 5-Year Apprenticeship Training Program [Penn Foster College – Online or Comparable] within 60 days. For experienced candidates there may be an opportunity to test out of sections of the training path.
- Must obtain required safety operator licenses, as needed for fork truck, man lift and scissor lift within 12 months (Employer Provided)
- Immediately obtain OSHA 10hr certification.
- Must obtain OSHA 30hr certification within 12 months.
- Must have an unencumbered valid NYS drivers’ license
- Industrial environment.
- Working outside in all weather conditions from street level to roof tops.
- Working inside in extreme conditions from Manholes, and building basements to rooftops.
- Possibility of temperatures ranging from extreme cold to over 100 degrees.
- Work will take place in chemical areas, noisy areas and areas that may be very dirty. Also will be operating heavy-duty machinery and vehicles including, Boomlifts (Manlifts), scissors lifts, fork trucks and power-walkie trucks.
- Position requires strenuous effort, climbing, stair climbing, and crawling to accomplish equipment isolation and movement of material
- Lifting and carrying of a variety of equipment weighing up to 50 lbs is sometimes necessary along with moving refrigeration cylinders and chemical drums weighing more than 50 lbs
- Potential to enter manholes underground (Confined spaces) and the Utilities tunnels
- Potential to work in overhead environments on Ladders, scaffolding, Boomlift or scissor lifts.