Job Title: Control Systems Engineering Intern
Reports To: Control Systems & IT Manager
Work Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 4:30PM, flexible
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• This position is part of the I&C group within RED-Rochester. The I&C team is responsible for the installation, repair, maintenance and calibration of all control system devices in each of RED’s utility plants. The team is also responsible for programming and maintenance of the Ovation Distributed Control System (DCS).
• Capital Projects – support the development of business cases, assist the project teams execute the completion of these projects, and take charge of small capital projects supporting the improvement of our systems.
• Spend time with RED’s operations group learning the hands-on operation of steam boilers, chillers, turbines, valves, pumps, generators, and more.
• Work under the direction of RED’s Controls Engineers to design and implement changes to DCS graphics, DCS logic/programming, and final control elements in the field.
• Support “day to day” field work with our instrumentation & controls technicians, learning about the installation, repair, testing and calibration of controls system components.
• Develop and document preventative maintenance procedures for control systems and control devices on major pieces of equipment (boilers, chillers, turbines, etc.)
• Document existing systems, including by making system diagrams of equipment and piping, drawings of controls cabinets layouts and equipment I/O, etc.
• Use the OSISOFT PI data collection system to set up data collection from new sources, analyze data from meters/plant equipment/financial models, set up automated analytics and alarming, and build dashboards for use by others.
• Currently majoring in Electrical, Computer, Chemical, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline.
• Eagerness to contribute to our team-oriented environment.
• Excellent leadership, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Valid driver’s license
• Experience working in a Utilities, Facilities, or Maintenance type role preferred, but not required.
• Experience working with Microsoft Visio or AutoCAD preferred, but not required.
• Basic programming experience (Java, PowerShell, Python, etc.) preferred, but not required.
• Work may be performed under extreme weather conditions including hot and cold ambient temperatures. Employee will be required to travel between various buildings and work in a plant environment where there are moderate noise levels. Employee will be expected to wear appropriate company-provided personal protective equipment for each location and/or task.
• While performing duties of job, employee will be occasionally required to bend, lift, walk, climb, or carry equipment. Employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.