Salary Range: $75,000 – $95,000
Summary: RED-Rochester’s (RED) Mechanical Process Engineer provides technical support for the operation, maintenance and improvement of RED’s industrial utility assets at Eastman Business Park in Rochester, NY. These include steam & gas-turbine power generation, steam generation and distribution, refrigeration, compressed air, and water/wastewater treatment systems. In this role, the Mechanical Process Engineer will assess and develop O&M problem solutions; evaluate and lead capital improvement projects for RED’s utility assets and processes from engineering to commissioning; and supports projects that extend new utility service connections for RED’s growing customer base within Eastman Business Park.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project engineering, cost estimating and management of small capital or capitalized maintenance projects including new utility service extensions to EBP customers.
- Work with RED’s O&M and I&C teams to solve problems and develop improvements to our equipment and processes across all RED’s utility assets.
- Work on day-to-day issues as they arise; be a resource to teammates and management.
- Works independently on assignments with guidance from senior team members and managers.
- Conduct jobsite observations and field inspections of RED’s buildings, utilities generation and utilities distribution systems.
- Partners with RED, Ironclad and SDCL/SEEIT personnel on varying levels as necessary to investigate, analyze and implement improvement projects.
- Prepare project reports, capital requests and other program or technical documentation.
- Assists with preparation of RFP’s for project bids and equipment procurement.
- Establishes proficiency in analyzing RED’s operational data collected by OSIsoft PI-Vision data historian.
- Customizes software and spreadsheets to achieve desired technical analyses.
- Support RED’s large capital projects as a team member with roles including project engineering, management, and construction management.
- Provides engineering design support as appropriate to develop and execute projects.
- Manage the development, design, or construction of small projects to ensure acceptability of budgets and timelines, conformance to federal and state laws, or adherence to approved specifications.
- Evaluate construction design information such as detail and assembly drawings, design calculations, system layouts and sketches, or specifications.
- Identify and establish working relationships with outside engineering, construction and procurement firms.
- Periodically attends educational seminars and conferences and maintains current knowledge of latest technology offerings as related to RED’s utility systems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical or Industrial Process Engineering
- Functional knowledge, engineering experience or a strong desire to learn about steam power generation, gas turbine power generation, boilers, industrial refrigeration, compressed air, pumping, hydronics and water treatment systems.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in a related engineering field.
- Active New York State PE License or working to achieve licensure, preferred by not required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and use of Excel spreadsheets.
- Good communications skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, customers, and operational level personnel.
- Desire for hands-on project development and customer contact
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Must be a “results-driven, self-starter” with the desire to bring creative solutions to a dynamic operating environment.
- Dedication to highest levels of utility service reliability and customer service
- Able to adjust easily to rapid change, possess a strong sense of urgency and is able to work well under pressure.
- A combination of normal office, industrial power generation and industrial park conditions. Weather consistent with historical seasonal changes in Rochester, NY.
- Potential to work outside in all weather conditions from street level to roof tops.
- Possibility of temperatures ranging from extreme cold to over 100 degrees.
- Must work at times in dirty or noisy areas.
- Able to operate computer keyboard, printers, copier, etc.
- Visual and hearing ability
- Able to move between buildings in Eastman Business Park which may require climbing as much as thirteen flights of stairs from time-to-time
- Must have a valid driver’s license and willingness to use a company or personal car to travel about Eastman Business Park which covers approximately 5 square miles.