Summary: Provide Electrical support to operations. Repairs, maintains and troubleshoots all electrical systems associated with utilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assemble, install, test, and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools
- Diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem
- Connect wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components
- Inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes
- Test electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures, based on job specifications and local codes
- Follow blueprints to determine the location of wiring and equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment including oscilloscopes, ammeters, and test lamps
- Install ground leads and connect power cables to equipment, such as motors
- Repair or replace wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools
- Place conduit (pipes or tubing) inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma/GED; Completion of Electrical Apprenticeship or equivalent (ie Alfred State Tech program)
- Understanding of National Electric Code and UL Codes
- Working knowledge of electrical theories and systems
- Programming and troubleshooting with Allen Bradley and Modicon PLC logic software.
- Basic understanding of Windows based Westinghouse Ovation DCS software.
- Understanding of Hydraulic system functions, hydraulic pumps and servo’s, solenoid control valves, accumulators, pressure regulators, pressure switches, hydraulic ram position detection, and such devices.
- Understanding of instrumentation controls, pressure regulators, solenoids, control valve positioners, guided radar level detector, ultrasonic level detection, capacitance level detection, transmitter functions and basic programming, programming and calibrating 4 and 20 milliamp control loops, using proximity switches and pneumatic control devices.
- Understanding boiler functions, programming and alignment of flame detection devices, understanding of combustion control devices such as high voltage ignitors and air dampers, high voltage variable speed motor control maintenance, gas and oil control valves, Uninterruptible Power Supplies function and trouble shooting.
- Able to work around high voltage rotating equipment safely. IE Replacing the worn out generator brushes while the unit is on line. Able to troubleshoot and work with 1400 pound steam turbine generating controls and 125 volt DC control power.
- Good Communication skills in English
- Electrical aptitude
- Basic math skills
- Ability to follow procedures, work instructions and safety/environmental rules and regulations
- Demonstrated trouble shooting skills
- Ability to recognize opportunities for process improvements and assist to implement them
- Ability to work independently
- Industrial environment.
- Working outside in all weather conditions from street level to roof tops.
- Working inside in extreme conditions from basements to rooftops and above including inspections of cooling towers.
- Possibility of temperatures ranging from extreme cold to over 100 degrees.
- Position requires strenuous effort, climbing, stair climbing, and crawling to accomplish equipment isolation and movement of material
- Lifting and carrying of a variety of equipment weighing up to 50 lbs is sometimes necessary along with moving refrigeration cylinders and chemical drums weighing more than 50 lbs.